Friday, October 29, 2010

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

More than the strong ocean winds bring a tear to my eye amid the turmoil of the Atlantic Ocean, for there lies to me one of the most peaceful, most powerful natural places in the world...Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia.

There are more than a few legends that surround how Peggy's Cove got its name, but the one I'm most anxious to believe is the one where a young girl named Margaret was the only survivor when, in 1800, the schooner she was on hit the rocks of the cove and sank. Margaret, having no family, or memory of who she was, was named 'Peggy' by the locals who saved her.

Whether legend or fact, standing out on the rocks smoothed by the ravages of time, I can't help but feel the pull of my conflicting emotions. Be it tears of joy for past survivors, tears of sadness for loves long since lost to the mighty Atlantic I know for some of us, Peggy's legend need only live on in our hearts to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment