Thursday, September 23, 2010

What else was I gonna do while sleep eluded me?

In the wee hours of the night, yet another one spent staring at the ceiling at 3 am, I got to thinking of all the things that cause insomnia and have convinced myself that most causes can be categorized into one (or a combination) of three categories. And have worked out a funny (somewhat) solution for all.

The first - not enough activity (mental and/or physical) in the daytime to make sleep possible.
Nothing a good fire lit under your butt, with a heaping helping of caffeine-related products, wouldn't cure!

The second - too much activity (mental and/or physical), sugar or caffeine late in the day.
Sitting around like a sloth at night in front of t.v. is okay (just don't think, snack on anything but veggies, or have caffeine - and yes, unfortunately this does mean chocolate). Bonus!?

The third - burning the candle at both ends.
This happens when your body and mind can't agree on which fire needs to be lit or extinguished.
Nothing a little TLC wouldn't cure in the right measures, at the right time. So you'll pardon me while I go make myself a pot of tea with a side of chocolate for breakfast.


...and if none of this works, talk to your doctor. After all, I'm just a writer trying to inject a little humour on what can be a frustrating situation.

Food for thought: Did our ancestors suffer insomnia? Somehow I doubt it with having to do everything the hard way - during daylight hours, spending quality family time by lamplight or moonlight when the day was over and falling into bed exhausted to prepare for a repeat the next day. Maybe it's time to stop fighting what our ancestors left us with...our Circadian rhythm?

No comments:

Post a Comment