Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Weddings...and other Milestones

On the afternoon of October 9th, 2010, my husband and I, joined by very cherished family members and friends, gathered to watch our youngest son marry the woman of his dreams.

I look to the altar and watch this young groom, our son, as he patiently waits for his bride to arrive. Their eyes lock together as she walks down the aisle and anyone with a still-beating heart knew the look of love that passed between them.

The picture biography of my little boy’s life, etched solidly on my heart where it can never be lost, starts playing silently, keeping time with the bridal music. In that moment of moments when speaking their vows, I look up to see, not that little boy, but a young man pledging his love to his bride, his bride quietly speaking her  vows through her tears to the man she loves.

Lost ties, late rides, the endless errands and tasks involved with a wedding are all but forgotten, for in that moment I look to see my husband quietly wiping away tears of his own, and I know I am blessed to have been here before, as I will be again. In different surroundings watching a different couple, the tears he last shed for our oldest son’s wedding on August 22nd, 2009 are tears he will no doubt shed once again when our last – but not least – son marries the woman of his dreams.

For those tears that we share are ones of happiness for the men our sons have become, of sadness for a time long ago kept alive in our hearts, and tears of joy. Joy for the future we’ve been blessed to share as our sons set out on that journey called life. And joy for the honour of getting to know and share our lives with the women who love them. Joy that we were blessed to be there to have those picture biographies playing.

To Billy, Brian, Brad, Melissa, Grace and Torrie: We love and cherish these moments with each and every one of you and wish nothing but the best life has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. sniff, sniff....beautifully put :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! Another tearful great entry! I love this one very very much!

    ReplyDelete